Saturday, March 27, 2010

Collage Written Reflection



While working on my collage, I tried to include many creative elements inside. I believed that if I divided my pictures into different categories then it could get the reader more into what was happening to the people in Sudan. I divided my collage into two parts with the pictures I found off the internet. I divided the sections into bad things that happened to the Sudanese people and one section was all the good things that happened to them like being able to transfer to America. It was quite hard to divide my pictures into two different parts because so many bad things happened to the Sudanese people and it was hard to find pictures for good things that happened to them. When I was cutting the pictures I also tried to cut around the part that I thought was the most significant. I believed that the reader should see all the pain that the Lost Boys had to go through.

Most of my images were of pain that the Lost Boys had to face. I also decided to make my six word memoir sound a bit sad because the conflict that the Lost Boys had to face was extremely sad. Right next to the word hell, I pasted a picture of a person crying because it showed the hell they had to go through. Some of the pictures I chose showed how little food they got because they looked so skinny in every single picture. I was also able to find a picture of the UN sign because they were the main group that helped them transfer to America and try to start off new. At first they were in pain when their parents died, then they were lonely on their way to America because of the new culture and then they were in hell, the moment they had to figure out ways to survive in America while trying to keep their family alive in Sudan.

Both the text and my pictures in my collage show awareness for the Lost Boys plight. The combination of my text and pictures show some of the fun the Lost Boys had but also some of the pain they had to go through. In some pictures it showed that the Lost Boys could forget about the past but could still remember their Dinka culture. The moment the Lost Boys entered America they were trying their best to forget about the past and to think about the future. In one of my pictures Peter is attending high school which shows he wants to get a good education so that he can get a good job and send money back to his family in Sudan. Some of the Boys are now quite popular in America because their story has been told to many people worldwide and a movie has been made because of them. In one of my pictures, Santino is being interviewed on a TV show and he is wearing extremely nice clothes. This shows that he was able to forget about the past and work hard in America. He earned enough money by himself to survive and be able to buy nice things for himself.

In the corners of my poster, I pasted some websites for the reader to visit in order to help the kids. I specifically chose these sites because I thought they were the best and they do a lot for the kids in Sudan. My collage also shows some of the worst pictures ever seen of the kids and people in pain. These pictures can get the reader feeling sorry for the people in need and it will make them really want to help out. My six word memoir is also something that shows some of the hard parts of the Lost Boy's journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment